Monday, May 31, 2004

My childhood anxieties still haunt me.

Last night, Cody told me that there were tornado watches east of us and moving this way. I figured that the storms would hit in the middle of the night or early this morning, and they did.

As a child, I had nightmares and anxieties about dying or being caught in a natural disaster or a fire. I had never experienced such a disaster, so you can't call it post-traumatic stress. I did read at one time that children can show signs of generalized anxiety disorder through fears such as mine.

I rationalize my fears now because in recent years (last year in fact) our area has been hit by some fierce storms. Last year, I almost got caught in a tornado that hit near my office.

So last night, I turned on the TV when I heard the thunder and lightening. There were watches and warnings, but no tornado. We would probably never get one as strong as they do in the midwest, but I'm not taking any chances.

Cody slept on the couch, and he told me this morning that he turned on the TV too. He has the same fears that I did (do).

So now it is cool outside and wet and could rain again today. It makes me want to crawl into bed for my second nap of the day. I think I will clean some of the junk out of my car and have Cody help me take the recycling once Cory leaves for work. The bed is calling my name...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home