Friday, May 28, 2004

I wasn't near a computer yesterday and here's the whole story...

Wednesday I come home ready to lie on the couch for the evening. Fate had a different plan for me. I go out the front door to get the mail, and as I walk by the side of the house, I hear something that sounds like water spraying. I go to the mail box and take the mail inside. I go back out because this sound disturbs me. It's coming from the side of the house where the spigot for the water hose is. It sounds like the spigot is not turned off. I try to turn it off and it's already off. I pull the cover off of the vent hole for the crawlspace. I hear the water in there, but I can't bend down enough to see if this is where it the sound is coming from. It looks a little damp down there, and we've had no rain in weeks.

The person I would normally call is my dad. He is a pool service manager at a pool company. Essentially, he is a plumber. He was at church already. I called Cory, and he suggested I call his dad. I did, but he had someone coming over to sign loan papers.

Then I started to panic. The thoughts running through my mind were: "How long has the water been leaking? What is this going to cost? We can't afford this. I can't turn the water off at the street by myself. Who the hell am I going to call?"

I called my mom, and by that time I was sobbing. She was at church too, but thankfully, she had her cell phone on. She said my dad would be on his way.

Dad cut the water off and the hot water heater. He poked around through the vent hole under the house and discovered that yes, we did have a broken pipe. It is corroded through. Great. He tried his best to fix it, but he couldn't do it through the little hole.

Keep in mind that while he is outside doing this, there is an impending storm on the horizon with thunder and black clouds coming closer. I went inside to check the weather and behold, there is a tornado watch. Wonderful. I went back outside to tell Dad that we were about to get pounded.

He came in a few minutes later and said that he couldn't fix it tonight because someone would have to crawl under the house. He would not be available until Saturday. (poolman is busy this time of year) I called Cory again and told him what had happened.

So we ended up going to spend the night with his mom until Saturday. We don't have the money to hire a plumber, and that means we have to wait for my dad to do it.

I did not sleep well Wednesday night and did not go to work yesterday. Today I am at work all by myself. I hope to get some work accomplished. I started the work day at Wal-Mart at 7:45 am. I will work my 7.5 hours and leave. If my math is right, that means I can leave at 3:15. I think I can do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home