Monday, March 15, 2004

I had to wait to see the doctor for TWO HOURS! I have NEVER waited for a doctor that long.

He is OK in some respects, but in others he is still just a man. Thinks he knows everything. told me my husband would be all the doula I would need in birth support. yeah right. i have an inherent distrust of men. not because they are bad, but because they often make comments like that thinking they know ALL about it. (replace the word "it" with any subject being discussed)

my husband was talking about the recent local tragedy where a 16 year old boy killed a police officer coming to his home on a domestic call. apparently the boy had been drinking the night before, mom didn't let him drive to school and he assaulted her. he was holed up in the house for hours with high powered guns. he ended up killing himself. before we found out that he killed him self, my husband says, "i hope they just end up shooting him." I say, "what good would that do? a life for a life? we don't live in Old Testament times anymore." He says, "well, put yourself in the shoes of the family that lost that officer! how would you feel! you would want him to die!"
All I could do was just shake my head and let him walk away. He would never understand if I tried to explain it. No, I can't imagine what that would feel like to lose someone in such a tragic way. Would I want someone to die for that? I don't know, maybe. Is that thought something i can morally reconcile with what I believe about life and death and ultimate punishment? probably not. His kind of thinking is what gets us into wars in Iraq and other places.

This is my husband's level of empathy. Now, how empathetic do you think he would be to a woman in pregnancy/child birth. This is why i need a doula. This is my general complaint about men. yes, i recognize this is a generalization, but as a member of a group in society that has to deal with general fears and worries that men never do, i don't think men can appreciate women's experiences as much as a woman can. that just seems like a no brainer to me.

i wanted to ask the doctor, "so why do men get into the field of women's health anyway???"

That is my rant for the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home