Thursday, August 05, 2004

Big Business Crimes Against Families

Upon realizing how much baby formula we would be needing, I tried a few negotiations with Big Business. Having a family makes me realize even more how doomed the little guy and the family is in our capitalistic world.

I called Babies R Us hoping to make a deal with the manager. I was willing to purchase all of our formula at their store in exchange for a deal. For example, they sell cases of six containers for about $130. I suggested buy 5 get one free for each case I buy. Right now the boys are EACH drinking about 22-24 ounces of forumla a day. That's about 2 cans of formula a week. That would be a lucrative deal for a manager if you ask me. Her response, "I'm sorry, our prices are set nationally. All of our coupons exclude diapers and formula." I wanted to say, "Yes, stupid, I know about the exclusions, this is why I am asking for a FREAKING BREAK." But I didn't say that. "Ok, thank you, good bye." Defeat.

So then I called the formula company. An even bigger business than the national Babies R Us, Nestle is an international company. Their response: If I send in a copy of the birth certificates, then I'll get two coupons for the full value of a can of formula. Plus they'll send me more coupons in their little monthly flier if I sign up today. Great. Screwed again. It's a racket. Damn Capitalists.

We make just enough to not qualify for WIC. I think someone in the government should consider the hardship of having two (or more) children needing diapers, formula, etc. at the same time. It's not the same as having two children that are spaced out.

It just makes me feel even more defeat and guilt for not being able to breastfeed. I guess since we now have all of these fertility treatments, twins are more commonplace. I guess you have to have a litter and be a freak show (or media draw) to get any assistance. Cynicism or realism? You tell me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristal said...

That sucks! At least you tried... if I get any bright ideas I will let you know. Until then, try to get some sleep and spend some time with your husband. Everything will work out in the end!

10:57 PM  
Blogger rasita said...

That is a good business idea. Providing what is needed/wanted in the community but isn't provided. You could look at ideas of home delivery/bulk purchasing/etc of baby products where the customers could save money. I get disposable nappies from a home delivery company and their prices are as good as the shops but with more variety and the chance to buy in bulk and save. You could build it up while you work at your new job. Anyhow, it is an idea you could look into.

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home