Friday, July 23, 2004

I still need ideas for work I can do from home.

EVERY time I encounter my mother in law, she has something negative to say. She came by to get her video camera for something tonight. She brought one of her friends; they are both elementary school teachers.

Her Friend: Are you ready to go back to work or are you dreading it?
Me: I do not want to go back to work
MIL: Well, have you found out how long it would take you to go back to school to be a guidance counselor or a teacher? You could at least have the summers off.
Me: No not really. I've looked some, but not in-depth. I don't think I will really be happy unless I find some way to work from home.
MIL: (laughs) Well, I guess you just won't ever be happy then, will you!!
Me: (screaming on the inside) get out of my house you negative witch!!!

I told my mom what she said. Everyone else I talk to about this issue has been positive. They have said things like, "What could you do?" or "I hope you find something." I said, "I can do whatever I want to do!" My mom says, "Yes, you've always decided what you wanted and done exactly that." Thank you, God, for giving me to my mom when I was born and not my mother in law.

Yes, I will find some way to stay at home.
Yes, I will be happy.
Yes, her negative comments have given me even more fuel for this fire!

7 Comments:

Blogger Hula Doula said...

I am a secret shopper. It works!

1:31 AM  
Blogger Scooter Deb said...

I know it's easier said than done, but you're really going to have to ignore your MIL. Don't indulge her weirdness by conversing with her as if she were sane. I mean, if this person were your neighbor, you wouldn't invite them over, so why should you encourage her negativity by engaging in normal adult conversation? Divulge no news, give up no information, speak when spoken to... after a bit, she may or may not get the hint, but at least you will have gathered a bit of breathing room for yourself.

4:30 PM  
Blogger djuggler said...

Alright. You can work for me from your home. Job: Administrative assistant. Pay: performance based--ie. I make you make; I don't make neither of us makes.

:)

I will lookup the information (assuming I can find it)--hound me. There is a home based customer service phone service. You may need to invest in a 2nd line for the house (as little as $18/month) but if they hire you, you commit certain hours to answering the phone and providing service from the house. I think a fulltime Internet connection (like cable or dsl) is needed. You could say "my hours are 7pm-11pm and 11am-3pm" or whatever.

7:01 AM  
Blogger djuggler said...

Lots of people have made homebased businesses out of Ebay.

Some people don't have the time or desire to eBay but gladly pay to have someone else do the foot work. There is now a company that if you take an item to UPS, UPS will ship it to the company (they pay shipping), they run the auction, take a commission and give you the rest. If your item doesn't sell they ship it back to you at their cost.

eBay's big push is not to the individual but to businesses trying to use eBay as their business. They just had a major conference in New Orleans. You may pry around and find some info from the con.

7:04 AM  
Blogger djuggler said...

Marketing for the self-employed or small business. I'm partly dying because I can't find time to address some letters to a specific target that I am going after.

I would happily pay someone to help get the addresses of those businesses, the contact info, help draft the letters and send them.

7:05 AM  
Blogger djuggler said...

If you have artistic tendencies, I have known people to successfully create artwork and sell it on eBay. The sale of one can lead people to inquire about other works and then you are doing direct sales. All from the home.

5:54 AM  
Blogger djuggler said...

Book publishing. Oh man! Where was I? I think it was one of the Project Bloggers that mentioned a yahoo novel group that helps you and encourages you. I believe she said that you could have your first novel (or was it first draft?) in four months with encouragement from that group.

Prod me and I will look around for the link.

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home