Sunday, July 18, 2004

Mother In Law Rant

Do you ever feel like people are saying things to dogs and babies and really wanting YOU to hear what they are saying? This would be classified as passive aggressive behavior.

Let me explain. Mother in law (MIL) was here today. Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate her being here so that I could get about 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep. However, when it was time to feed the boys again, apparently Cole had a spit up problem. Woke hearing him screaming and her saying things like, "We need to tell mommy that this isn't working." Over and over and over again. She ALREADY makes comparisons between the boys that are extremely negative. She said to Cole, "You have a worse temper than brother. I thought brother had a temper but you are worse." All said in a sing-songy baby voice.

First of all, I don't know if she was WANTING me to wake up or not. I've already said that she has a loud voice. My house is VERY small (1000 sq. ft.). It is hard to not hear people talking, especially people who are loud. When I finally got up from bed, she said that she thought the new formula was worse than the old one they were on. I told her that they had not spit up like that for a day and a half. What I did not say was that the last time they did that was when SHE was here. It makes me wonder if there is a connection.

Second, adults impute emotions onto a baby's cries. Babies cry for specific reasons: hungry, dirty diaper, cold/hot, overstimulated, in pain, and probably one other I am forgetting. They are not mad, sad, etc. Crying is their way of communicating their needs. Some babies are more sensitive than others, and therefore, they are more needy. I see this already with my boys. Aidan is a little more needy than Cole. So stop making comparisons!They are only a month old for gosh sakes!

The sad things is, I knew this would be a problem with the MIL. She has another grandson who is 5 years old. She talks about him losing weight TO HIS FACE all the time. He already calls himself fat. She obsesses about weight. I am sick of it and get tired of hearing about it. She clearly has some emotional reason why she eats and needs to deal with that. Nobody likes to hear you complain about how fat you are all the time. Do something about it or don't complain!

I used to think that she was a relatively intelligent person. Now I think she might be if she weren't so dang ADHD and controlling. Cory was talking to her on the phone last night and trying to tell her about Jackie. She apparently interrupted him repeatedly. When someone does that, they are effectively saying, "What you are telling me is not important."

Oh yeah, and she left Cole in the swing UNBELTED. I feel like I have to baby sit her and the boys when she is here. Sheesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home