Monday, April 12, 2004

i don't have my doc appt until 8:45 but here I am at 7:15 halfway ready. my mom bought me this cute shirt that I had planned on wearing today. however, it seems that most of the clothes from the Motherhood maternity store are low cut and ill fitting in the chest area. i guess the size of my belly is not proportional to the size of my boobs right now. i'll have to try to find a safety pin.

Cory is in a strange snappy mood this morning. oh oh, i think he just ran out of hot water too.... not a good start to the morning.

About the grandmother thing...

My aunt called me several months ago and said that she would like to give us a shower at her church (this is the church where I grew up and I know a lot of people there still). the date she picks and (sort of) asks me about is May 15. i say, "that may be too late if i have to go on bed rest." she says "oh we'll just have it without you." great. ok.

Then we find out that my brother Eli is graduating from college on the same day. can't have it then. my grandmother calls me and says that in talking to my aunt, that she can't plan another shower until June. i say, "well, i will probably not be able to come and the babies may even be here by then." she kept pressing me and asking me about dates. i said april or may would probably be better. she said that my aunt wouldn't be able to do anything until June because of trying to deal with my cousin's problems (this is another story for another time). as far as i know, there has not been a shower planned. when my grandmother told my mom about the "situation," my mom says, "well, i think they were really counting on that shower."

so saturday my grandmother keeps pestering me with "what else do you need? what else do you need?" i'm trying to tell her that i really don't know because i am having another shower in a couple of weeks. according to my mom, she had to hear my grandmother say this much more than i did; they rode together to the shower. i asked my mom why she thought she was being that way. her theory is that my grandmother feels guilty about the shower and wants to buy her way out of it. that was my theory, too. i'm glad that we concur on the insanity of the rest of my family.

it's not that i am greedy or anything. i just think it is pretty crappy for your own family to say they will do this for you and then back out because someone else's problems are so huge. they just want to have the crisis du jour to make them feel better. don't get me wrong, i love my family, but it is pretty hurtful for them to be this way. i feel bad for my mom because this is her mother and her sister that are acting this way. she keeps saying, "shame on them."

i want to say something to them, but i'm not sure what. my aunt called one day the week after our vacation and i was not feeling well. she said, "ok i'll call back some other time and we can talk about Savannah and babies." what does that mean? i suppose that i could call her and ask if they were still planning on having the shower. i might do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home