Thursday, March 12, 2009

Layoffs

I have assumed that the mental health and social services fields would be more recession-proof than many others. Today proved me wrong. Due to a lot of factors, one large one being restructuring of TennCare, my employer has lost a huge amount of money. Patient census is down across the board.

I still have a job for now. But I think there is a lot more fear in all of us now. We were told last year to not be afraid - we were ok - now, I think it is quite different.

I wonder now about our patients. What is happening to those people who used to receive services? Did they go somewhere else? Are they suffering without meds, therapy and case management? Is mental health care a luxury?

Lots of thoughts going thru my mind. Lots of prayers for those who were told they had no job today.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home