Monday, March 09, 2009

Facebook withdrawal

I'm really struggling with not being able to get on Facebook tonight. My natural curiosity about other people's lives is usually sated by my job - therapy allows me to help others but I also get to hear fascinating human stories several times a day. With Facebook, I sometimes feel like a voyer but it is cloaked in the guise of staying in touch with friends - however, I know more now about my 'friends' than I ever did when we were really friends. I am probably one of the nosiest people ever, so giving up Facebook for lent has been a challenge, but it is a necessary challenge. A friend pointed out to me today that I have a tendency to get 'obsessed' with certain things (certain people included) - so this sacrifice is needed for me to become more focused on the things that really matter in life - my real relationships - with God, with Cory, with Aidan, with Cole.

There is another side to this whole Facebook thing that has exposed some of the ugliness of my soul - that there is a lot of self-centeredness that needs to be purged. The flip side of the voyer in me is also the narcissist who thinks that my 250 'friends' really care what my 'status' is or what my inmost thoughts are on any given day or what my favorite music or book or top 25 random things about me are.

So when I return to logging on to Facebook, I will do so with a more intentional focus. Becoming more intentional about my thoughts and actions has always been a struggle for me - to eliminate the flippant remark, to be deliberate about everything I say and do - to not eliminate the spontaneous, but to think before acting at all levels.


Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home