Monday, May 02, 2005

Yesterday started out to be a postive day. The sun was finally shining. We took the boys to my mom and dad's church for a baby dedication. It was so sweet and funny when Aidan grabbed the preacher's ear mic and put it in his mouth! I went to work and took a nap/dozed there until I had to start my calls. I did 4 calls. I guess things started to go downhill then.

The things I witness through my job are starting to cause some secondary traumatic stress. What I wondered about yesterday is how people, including people with mental illness, could do things to hurt themselves/harm themselves. I saw a couple of clients who did some self-injurous acts. How painful for their families. I wish I could go into detail, but I don't want to break any laws/confidentiality. I understand that people cut/self-injure because it releases stress and can be a relief to feel the pain when you feel so numbed by depression. I can fathom that. I cannot fathom actually doing it. How someone could take a sharp object to their skin and mar themselves for life is beyond my scope of understanding. I empathize with the depression, but the actions I just don't get.

Then when I get home last night, Cory is tired/in pain. He internalizes his stress, which one day will cause a heart attack or a stroke, I'm sure. He needed me to iron and do a couple of other things. The boys woke up at midnight for some reason and I could not get them down. I am so exhausted from caring for people. I need a break but have one more day to go this week at work before I can get a break from that.

Babies crying. I'll have to write more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home