Tuesday, May 22, 2007

It looks like I have a few fans!

Having children makes you broke! I've been working extra at the crisis response unit to try to help make the ends meet. I worked both days this weekend and saw some of the worst cases I've seen in awhile. I can deal with seeing horrible cases of mental illness pretty well. I know that my role is to be there to help if I can.

However, the worst part of working so much is the separation from my children. Cory works two jobs as well, with real estate taking him away in the evenings on most nights. Cole has been biting his fingernails since he was about 18 months old. He also picks his nose. and eats it. yum. He has a few nails where now the skin is red around the quick. one finger is red and swolen a little. I asked him why he bites his nails and his response is, "Because I need you mommy."

Cole and Aidan have been potty trained now for a few months. Cole will sometimes have accidents when he starts playing and won't stop to go to the potty. Ususally these are BM accidents. He told his teacher one day last week that he had an accident "Because I need my mommy."

Now, I've done my research on nail biting, and I was leaving it alone because the articles I read said it was self-soothing, similar to twirling hair, etc. Since he has started injuring himself with the nailbiting, I just don't know what to do. What I've read tells me to not call attention to the behavior because it may increase, and the behavior is done without thinking, not a concious decision. So I've started saying "Hands!" to Cole. I've also started saying "Hands!" to Aidan. He like to stick his hands down the front of his pants. Ah boys...

We have an appointment for yearly checkups in July. I will be addressing a lot of things, including the nail biting. I have my own history of some intense anxiety. I just want to prevent Cole from going through that as well. I need to make sure that I'm not doing anything to heighten his anxiety. I know he wants to be with me and Cory, and he is a homebody - he'd rather be at home playing with his trains more than anything! He has an anxious/avoidant temperament type. I want to keep him from being a worry wart, like I am.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

poor Cole.
I have a four and a half-year old named Joey who has a nail-biting issue. he isn't anxious, he just can't stand when they aren't even or if there is a rough patch. he'll bite them so short that they bleed, so i have to watch him close and keep them filed. my seven year old does the same thing - won't stop his game until it is an emergency. he's pretty good about booking it to the potty in time though! =)
i sure hope things get better for you and Cory and the boys. i'll keep you in my prayers.

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home