Tuesday, August 20, 2024

What was that thought?

 After rediscovering my blog, I had so many ideas for posts swirling in my brain! Aaaannnnd now they’re gone. 

My late 30s and 40s have been an interesting time of collecting medical diagnoses, one of which is hypothyroidism. My thyroid has pooped out for unknown reasons. It’s partly genetic - my paternal grandmother had hypothyroidism, my paternal cousin and maternal aunt do as well. So can we say “genetically doomed”? Maybe so.

Symptoms include anything that controls every function of your body, including your brain for focus, concentration, and memory. Look it up - the thyroid controls EVERYTHING. Did I learn this in high school anatomy and physiology? I don’t remember haha. 

So I take replacement thyroid hormones and they do help. I can’t understate how much I was struggling mentally before I started treatment, but my short term memory is still crap. I try to write things down and it works some of the time. Getting enough sleep also helps - oh yeah, I also have a sleep disorder!

Trying to not be anxious about what I’ve forgotten also helps. The more stressed I am, the less I’m able to recall things later. That’s simply how stress affects memory. So eventually, if it’s important enough, I’ll remember what I wanted to write about!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home